Monday, January 23, 2012

Confession Time: Multi-tasking @ Church....

Maybe its the left over Protestant in me from my conversion to Catholicism but I have not been to a formal confession in years.  Of course, I pray and confess on my own all the time but I just never seem to think of going to the actual confession.  So here's a little confession time here on my blog.

Ok.  Here it goes.
I do not always give with a cheerful heart.  Somedays, I'm doing the right thing just because I know it is the right thing to do. . .

Which brings us to this.....


No, this is not another Valentine's Day blog.  This one's about Jonah & the Whale.

At Mass (Church) this week, I'd planned to multi-task.  Isn't that awful?  I mean, I wasn't going to bring in computer and create a power point or anything.  I brought in my Bible and planned to do a bit of research on the story of Jonah because this is the topic we are discussing with the youth group next week.

I mean we all know....
"Who did? Who did? Who did?  Who did swallow Jo-Jo-Jonah" *singing*

But there's got to be more to the story than the whale swallowed him.  I seemed to remember something about him not doing what he was supposed to, not listening to God's calling...  But I needed to refresh myself on the whole story.  You know, more than just the kids version I'd read Elijah the other night.   I could plan the lesson for next week and listen to the Homily (sermon), right?  I'm a mom.  I can multi-task.

We walk in late (oops, another confession) and get the boys settled in a pew.   As I'm reaching into Jonah's  diaper bag (my son, not the one that went in the whale) and begin pull out the Bible, Father Jerry announces that today's reading and message will be about Jonah.

Ugh............  I think my chin dropped to the floor.    I really don't have any words to describe how I felt.  I expected to look up and find the priest and entire church looking at me with knowing, judgmental eyes.  That girl was not going to listen to the message today... she was  going to work on her plans for next week.

I'm not kidding the first words out of his mouth were, "Have you ever read the book of Jonah?  If not you should."  He the proceeded to tell the story of Jonah.  A man who didn't always give with the most cheerful heart, tried to run from his calling, who received forgiveness and went on to do what God asked him, overcoming fears along the way.  I definitely can see some parallels to share with the youth group.... and maybe even some parallels in my own life.  :)  It was a great story.  (Although, I may be a little partial now that I have my own sweet Jonah.)

I don't really believe in coincidence.
I believe in the Holy Spirit.
Sometimes, God speaks to your heart.
Helping you know what's right.
Sometimes his message comes through others.
If you are listening.

I don't always do what's right.  I was planning to multi-task at church.  But... As always, God's plan was much better than mine.
 
I never cease to be amazed at the power of FAITH.  Even Especially when I am undeserving.

2 comments:

  1. The story of Jonah and the whale is popular at our house. Samuel knows it by heart and loves to tell it to whoever will listen.

    ReplyDelete