Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Super Cobbler: Super Easy, Super Cheap, Super Yummy

So, I've lost my iron.  You may wonder how one can lose an iron but I have.  I think I took it to school to iron out recycled paper and it never made the trip back home.  I don't iron, ever really. I generally just put clothes in the dryer. (Which is ironic because I won the Home Economic award in high school and part of what I had to do was teach others proper ironing techniques.) Ironing has always been a little skeleton in my closet.  But today I had to venture out on a quest to buy a new one.   

Here's why.
  

See that proud boy holding his star?  He gets these every week at his ball games and they must be IRONED on to his shirt.  What does this have to do with the super cobbler you may wonder.  Well, my quest took me to Big Lots.  And after navigating the entire store 3 times, I finally found an iron.  It was in the kitchen appliance section (odd, but its Big Lots).  That iron was parked right across from this cute little dish.  It was purple, deep,with  decorative handles and on the bottom were the words "oven, microwave, and dishwasher safe".  That dish was lonely.  It needed to come home with me.  But my hubs said, "Okay but it's small.  What are you going to cook in that."  Without a moments hesitation, I said "Cobbler.  I haven't made a cobbler in a while and that would be perfect."  You can always win him over with cobbler.  

This cobbler is Super Easy, Super Simple, and Super Cheap.  
Here's what you need:
1 can of pie filling (I used Cherry)  
1 stick of butter 
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of milk
1 cup of self rising flour

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  


Mix together sugar and flour.
Then stir the milk into the mixture.  


Melt a stick of butter and pour that into the bottom of the dish.  (Remember butter = flavor...  You can eat a salad later and it will cancel out this cobbler.)


Pour batter on top of butter.  Do not mix or stir.  


Pour the can of cherry pie filling (or what ever pie filling you like) on top of the batter & butter.  Do not mix or stir.  Everything will blend as it should during the cooking process.  


Take a second to look at this dish of messy goodness.   Pop in the oven on 350 for 50-55 minutes.  


Mmmmmmmmmmmm......   Serve this with ice cream and your family will love you forever.  Or at least until bedtime.  

No comments:

Post a Comment