Monday, January 30, 2012

Taco Flowers! (AKA Taco Cupcakes)

I love cooking with my family.  Yesterday was a cooking with the family kind of day.  I'd seen the taco cupcakes recipe from Gabrielle's Blog, Just Us & Many Miles Traveled, on pinterest and thought.  I'd like to try that!   I'd never seen such a pretty taco.   When they are done they look like little flowers.

I modified the recipe a bit just to match what we had on hand.


Here's what you need:

Lean Hamburger Meat (I used about 1 & 1/2 Pounds)
1 Can Black Beans
Egg Roll Wrappers (2 Wrappers per large cupcake and 1 wrapper per small cupcake)
Sharp Cheddar Cheese (We used one small block.)
Cheese Whiz (Although, I may leave this out next time.  I'm not a huge fan of this but Daniel & Elijah like it.)
Taco Seasoning (We made our own from Chili Powder, Onion Powder, Cumin, Salt, & Garlic Powder)
Salsa


Here's how you make it:


This recipe called for browning the meat with the taco seasoning. I usually put it in after the meat is browned. I think either way will work.  I used about 2 tablespoons.  But feel free to use as much or as little as you like.  


While the meat is browning have your little super hero grate the sharp cheddar.  We did used one of the smaller bricks but use as much or as little as you like.  Take the time to grate your own cheese, it makes it taste sooo much better.  :)


If you used a fattier meat, you'll want to strain the grease before you add the beans.  Strain the can of black beans and add them to the browned meat.  


Okay, so cooking with the family is the best... but not the best for food blogging.  Sometimes we get to talking and I forget to take photos of each step... So, here are a couple of steps with one pic.  
1.  Spray cupcake pan (I used the larger cupcake pan but use what ever you have.) with cooking spray and put one egg roll wrapper in each section.  Leave a little sticking up as this will make the outer pretty shell of the taco.
2.  Put about a table spoon of cheese whizz in the bottom of the egg roll.  If you don't want to use cheese whizz, I understand.  Just sprinkle in some cheddar cheese.  


Oops... No use crying over spilt cheese.  If this happens to you... Do what we did.  Grate more cheese. If not, feel free to skip this step.  


Add in about 2 tablespoons of the meat/beans mixture and 1 teaspoon of salsa.


Now, add some cheese....  :)


Okay, so here is where we got to talking again...
Take another egg roll wrapper and lay it on top of the cheese.  Then press the bottom wrapper and the new one together. You will want to make a tight seal.  Tip:  If the egg roll wrappers start to dry out just moisten them with a bit of water.  
Then you'll repeat the same layering process above ending with cheese.


Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and egg roll is golden brown.  


Mmmmm......


Here's the pretty little taco flower topped with tomato and avocado.  





1 comment:

  1. These remind me of the Anijotos Minis that I make for New Year's each year.

    ReplyDelete