Friday, January 13, 2012

Oh, Pinterest How You Inspire Me: Shepherd's Pie.


So, I found this pinterest recipe for Ms. Paula Deen's Shepherd's Pie.  Shockingly enough, I had all the ingredients at home.  I mean I'd just bought a pound of butter.  :)  I should be in good shape. I've always wanted to make a shepherd's pie and mushy peas.  I love British things.  Now, I get to mark one of those things off my list.  With that being said, I have a disclaimer.  This is probably not a traditional recipe.  I think this is a southern twist because it has a biscuit top, rather than mashed potato topping.  (The mashed potatoes are the bottom layer in this dish.)  It was still pretty good, none the less.

This is what I used (It's my adaptation of Ms. Deen's recipe.):

Smashed Potato Layer:
*If you have a favorite recipe for (s)mashed potatoes, I'd just use that.
15-20 smallish new potatoes
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup of milk


Meat Layer:
1 1/2 lbs hamburger meat
1 can whole kernel corn
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 bag of frozen onion (or 1 onion, I hate cutting onion)


Biscuit Layer:
2 cups of bisquick
1 cup milk (I ended up adding an extra splash.  You want it to be just a bit thinner than regular biscuit mix)

And, here's the photos:

*Well, first preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Potato Layer


Boil potatoes until fork tender.  About 15-18 minutes.  
(You will see I made more potatoes than I needed because I wanted left over mashed potatoes.)


I don't have a good mixer; so, I always smash my potatoes.  Smash away.  
This is good after a frustrating day at work.  


Add milk.


Smash in butter and sour cream.  
(I think the smashing process cancels out the calories of the butter & cream, right?)


Salt and pepper to taste.

Meat Layer


Brown meat and add onions.  Cook until onions are translucent.  
At this point your kitchen is beginning to smell divine.  
No kidding, my husband and the dog were pacing back and forth behind me at this point.


Add 1/2 of the can of corn. Save the rest, you'll use it later.


Mix in tomato sauce. I let this simmer on low while I finished potatoes, and mixed biscuit batter.   

Biscuit Layer


Mix two cups of bisquick to one cup of milk. 
I had to add an additional splash of milk to get this consistency. 

Layering Process


Grease 9 x 9 pan.  Fill pan about 1/2 up with smashed potatoes. 
Spread remaining corn on smashed potatoes.  


Now, time to add the meat layer.    


Pour biscuit layer on top.  
Out of respect to Ms. Deen, you may want to add a couple of table spoons of melted butter on top. 


Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes.



So, it doesn't look really pretty but it tasted pretty good!  


Here are a couple of thoughts after making it:
1.  I will make this again but with a variation... Like a south west twist by adding black beans and a corn bread topping.  
2.  I would like to mix cheese in there somewhere.... because my family loves cheese.  
3.  This would also be good with left over pot roast.
4.  This is NOT a meal for after a tired day at work unless you already had some left overs like pot roast, or mashed potatoes.  

Now, I'm ready to try and make those mushy peas.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. Good one dear thanks Pretty Fine Day: Oh, Pinterest How You Inspire Me: Shepherd's Pie. Pretty Shepherd's Pie.

    ReplyDelete